Monday, March 4, 2013

5 By the 5th: March

So here we are again, for the third time: my run for the 5 by the 5th virtual race series. (Do remember to hop on over to Mommy Run Fast if you're interested!) I've been enjoying this as an additional excuse to get myself out the door some days. Every now and then, I just need the extra oomph to really motivate myself.

I have to admit, this month's run wasn't fantastic. But then, I've had enough good runs lately to sort of let this one slide. I'd gone out during one of the Exercise Baby-Swap days I have with my friend Kerri, and the day itself was a bit dismal-looking. Though the weather was just cool enough to feel good. I just managed to do the 5 miles, but my pace wasn't my best. I'd been putting up with a migraine on and off for most of the day and was just generally struggling to find my running groove.

On the bright side, the route that I now know can do me a good 5 miles from my Baby-Swap starting point takes me through the nice parts of our old neighbourhood, through a bit of woodland pathway, and past the local airport. Oh! And that airport might prove to be a way of getting to see one of my friends from university! Yup; my friend Anne apparently gets to come to the airport here in Farnborough for her job every now and then, so I could have the chance to hang out with someone who knew me before I was married! (And wow, it feels really strange to realise just how few people I see from before that time...)

Well, today starts a new week, so hopefully, I'll get in another couple of good 5-milers. After all, the Fleet Half Marathon is now only 2 weeks away. Eek! I'm a bit nervous, but mostly I feel good about the whole thing. No matter what else happens, I know I can cross the finish line in a respectable amount of time. That said, I'd love to finish in 2:00:00 or less. That would be amazing.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the idea of a baby swap! I always forget about that option... I don't have many running mom friends (the mom friends are not runners, the running friends are not moms!) but I'm tucking that away... thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Laura! Everyone I know who runs has different schedules, but my mom friend doesn't run, so she gets to swim and I get to run, and the kids get to spend about 2 hours together 3 times a week! Everybody wins, basically. Hope you can make that one work for you!

      Delete
  2. What is this idea? I'm intreagued primarily because that is a picture of my town! (just stumbled across your blog and enjoying your posts!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're a Baltimore gal, Emmy! (Me too, once upon a time.) So the idea is that before the 5th of each month you have to run either 5k or 5 miles. You track your time however you want, then post the results with Laura (from the comment above) in a Google Docs spreadsheet. If you want to blog about it as well, there's a link up party again over on Laura's blog, Mommy Run Fast.

      Delete