Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Run to Race Day


I know the running front has been quiet for quite some time now on the blog. Mea culpa. Lately, my only excuse is that the weather has been absolutely rubbish. Cold and wet in the worst possible way, and that hasn't tempted me to get outside and hit the pavement. Not to mention that my few abortive attempts to run early in the morning have been scuppered by A) my not being a morning person, and B) E having several less-than-restful nights.

If you managed to see on Facebook or RunKeeper, I did get my PR on an under-2-mile distance the other week. I was at the library with E, my friend Kerri, and her little girl Snowy. Between one thing and another, I missed a text from another friend asking if I could pick his daughter up from school. This wasn't a problem in and of itself, but there was a problem: by the time I realised I was being asked a favour, I had 15 minutes to get back home, pick up the car, and drive to this school.

Take it for what it's worth...I don't think it's the most accurate summary I've ever seen.

Kerri, thankfully, offered to watch E while I sprinted home - at what was apparently a 7:09 minute mile - to hop in the car and pick up this little girl from school. Let me tell you: I don't recommend doing sprint/walk combos over any distance in heavy winter boots. My shins were killing me for days afterwards.

Now, in the meantime, I've realised just how disturbingly close the Fleet Half Marathon is getting. I need to get my arse in gear for this thing if I don't want to cross the finish line feeling ashamed that I had the chance to do better and didn't. So here's the deal:

1 mile, every day, until the race. No exceptions.
I will run the distance before the end of February.
I will commit and plan to run at least once with the Hart Road Runners, like I mentioned before.

And again, to keep myself accountable, I'll Instagram each run with the hashtag #runtoraceday. And for those of you not on Instagram (follow me @tealapple), and just for the sake of keeping track, I'll round up each week's pics and post them here with a little run down, just like I did during the Holiday Running Streak.

Wish me luck people! The way my motivation has suffered in this rubbishy winter weather, I need it.

I need to be able to wear this with pride!
via, Oiselle

No comments:

Post a Comment